News:

The {FWE} Forums have been updated with a new look and feel, with new themes that are phone compatible, you can select your personal theme in the home page where it says theme select

Main Menu

Topic: Time To build A new Gaming PC

Started by {FWE}Ontime-Adm, September 18, 2011, 08:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Quote from: {FWE}Ontime-Adm on March 30, 2013, 10:52:37 AM
Adding a new gem to my system , just looking for a bit more speed to my system , I have researched several SSD drives and found the one that will meet my needs to bring my over all system performance up.

SAMSUNG
256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series

As I read reviews all over the net , I always seem to use  http://www.guru3d.com for the final review as they do a full review on the products I research.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_840_pro_ssd_benchmark_review_test,1.html

My plan is to use the SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series, as the primary boot drive, then I will strip down  my OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5
and run my Gaming software from OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5 , and see how this performs ,  I should see and experience a litlle bit better performance.

So basically I should see a overall system performance with the  SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series (boot able main drive) verses OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5 50 Gig (as I only have 15 Gig left) after striped down I should have about 20 Gig of unused pace left on the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5 which will allow the drive to perform properly and last longer.

Just an update on the progress of installing the new SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series, I am installing this on a AUSUS RAMPAGE lll BLACK EDITION , well the SATA 3 Marvell and the Intel ports are buggy , as I have searched for a solution/installed port drivers after port drivers, I finally installed a new operating system from scratch, Evan tried to install the drivers during the new operating system install, I only got the new SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series drive to read 1 time, at this time I ran Samsung magician software to test the speed running on the SATA 3 port (Intel) and it ran at the expected speed that Samsung claims it runs, when I rebooted to plug the other drive in, I lost the Sata 3 ports and have not been able to get them back, so at this point I called Ausus tec support, they are shipping me a new board because the board is defective, I will keep you posted on the new board install.  Thanks Ontime-Adm 

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Hi, the New motherboard has arrived and is installed

SATA 3 ports are working just fine, I attached the SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series to the SATA 3 ports and booted everything loaded properly,
I then wanted a new fresh install of the operating system with the new drive, during the install I loaded the Intel Rapid Storage AHCI Drivers with the F6 option at the beginning of the install, after everything was installed, and I was finally in the operating system I started verifying the Sata 3 port speeds, with the native bench mark program that had came with the drive (Samsung SSD Magician Software).

SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series Sata 3

Seq Read/Writes(MB/s)   

Read (MB/s)            Write (MB/s) 
       506                         465

Random Read/Write (IOPS)

Read (MB/s)           Write (MB/s) 
        30366                   25838

Now to me the above is a little low now it was time to tweek a little more and do some testing , do not get me wrong this is almost twice the speed compared to the Sata 2 drive

OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5

Seq Read/Writes(MB/s)   

284                       262

Random Read/Write (IOPS)

32108                   50234

I am in question on which AHCI controller drivers to run,  so I installed the  Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller Storage Controller, now with this combination the benchmark reads as follows, with a little tweaking of course.

SAMSUNG 256GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Pro Series Sata 3

Seq Read/Writes(MB/s)   

537                         467

Random Read/Write (IOPS)

66242                   61322

I have increased the performance of the system, there is more tweaking to be done, I do not feel I have reached the Sweet spot yet,  but progress has been made.

Acording to the Windows Experience Assessment, the Hard drive is no longer the bottle neck

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz 7.8 7.8
                Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB                                                                    7.8
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti                                               7.9
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory            7.9
Primary hard disk 157GB Free (215GB Total)                                   7.9

Thanks {FWE}Ontime