Help choosing new fans for my case with high airflow and low decibels

Started by {FWE}Neonzion, August 12, 2010, 03:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

{FWE}Neonzion

(i dont know if this was the right place to post this)

hey guys i need 3 140mm and 2 120mm for my case with high airflow but low noise... my stock cooler master case fans are like 1200rpm max and blow very very little air (but hey they r silent)... What do u guys recommend for a good price/what r u guys using. btw guys i would also like to see green led case fans since my case is an nvidia edition case: nv 690 by cooler Master. (if no green led fans then no led fans or blue led fans {even though it will hurt my theme)

thanks

will be getting new motherboard, ram, hard drive soon i hope and after that a new cpu so i need new fans for overclocking =)

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Quote from: {FWE}Neonzion on August 12, 2010, 03:18:46 AM
(i dont know if this was the right place to post this)

hey guys i need 3 140mm and 2 120mm for my case with high airflow but low noise... my stock cooler master case fans are like 1200rpm max and blow very very little air (but hey they r silent)... What do u guys recommend for a good price/what r u guys using. btw guys i would also like to see green led case fans since my case is an nvidia edition case: nv 690 by cooler Master. (if no green led fans then no led fans or blue led fans {even though it will hurt my theme)

thanks

will be getting new motherboard, ram, hard drive soon i hope and after that a new cpu so i need new fans for overclocking =)
Hey {FWE}Neonzion  WhiteDragon turned me on to a couple of links.Keep in mind the faster the fans and the more blades they have you will have more noise from them as they will push more air, as far as the fans themselves being noisy these are pretty darn quiet and push a ton of air you will notice a big difference in air movement.Might I make a "suggestion"and that is if you have the resources put a fan or 2 in the bottom of your case to draw cool air from the bottom of your case into the airflow  as this will be pushing cool air from the bottom up and cool the bottom section of your mother board and this will also create better air flow.With all the fans in the mid section of the tower it seems to create air flow from mid way and up.
Links to some awesome external fans if you are thinking of upgrading your stock fans that came with your computer case.
1:  http://www.coolerguys.com/slipstream120.html
2:  http://www.coolerguys.com/840556045748.html
3.  http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=scythe_slip_stream.html
4.  http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=482689&mpage=1#483890

{FWE}Neonzion

HOLY CRAP! Thanks Ontime the Scythe Slip Stream looks really great!!! I see what they did with the design... it has a low rpm but has a whole bunch of blades to push more air. Also it is really thin! Thanks thats on my list now. btw my case only allows for up to one 140mm on the bottom but 140mm is big and will give me excellent airflow... I have an Antec 3 120mm fan there now but it has low cfm (airflow)...

the 50mm SUNON fan looks great for my NorthBridge chipset! I didnt even think of that!

My list for fans:
Scythe Slip Stream
Thermaltake Thunderblade
SUNON 50mm fan

thanks so far any1 got led fans but i may best buy the fans Ontime recommended. I will compare to the Thermaltake ThunderBlades or i can get 3 tunderblades and 2 Scythe Slip Stream since the size is right.

thanks keep ur suggestions coming i need help! btw if you can also suggest 2 VERY HIGH aiflow (CFM) 80mm fans that would be great...

{FWE}Neonzion

Also another question: is any1 using a fan controller? if so which one. Are they any good because i need one. Noise is not a big issue for me unless its absolutely unbearable but the fan controller is really for night time gaming hours  miniGun

lol anyhow, yeah also it has to be a 5.25 or 3.5mm (whatever the floppy/harddrive size is)... not any of the back controllers... thanks

{FWE}Hooters-Adm

I find that every fan i purchase is a little noisy, but using a fan controller can help with this if you can buy one that connects to multiple fans of your physical connection itself. I have a cheap 6 dollar Apevia from newegg that controlled 3 of my fans on my old case and 1 on this 1200 case.

They come in handy for turning them down when you just surfing the net not gaming at all. I don't want to turn you onto any fans because like i said they all are noisy if you want to have a good airflow.

WhiteDragon

Hey Neon,
   Glad Ontime showed you the links to the fans that I helped him with awhile back. I would be happy to help you with the selection of fans for your set-up. It would be best if we get together on TS and that way I can see exactly what you need and then we can connect with the links and decide from there. I am on my way to bed since I have gotten like no sleep all week  Drugs  and I have to get up @ 4:30 to go to work tomorrow. We will hook up sometime tomorrow evening and hammer this stuff out. I know of  some really Good Fans that are Green LED if that's what you want. We will talk tomorrow.

C'Ya
Dragon

{FWE}Neonzion

ok hoots well there are plenty of controllers i guess... i might just get a 3.5bay controller because i like the mesh covers and my case comes with an adapter which still keeps the mesh cover except the part were the 3.5 device comes though... lol thanks hoots =)

K WhiteDragon I will try to come on to see when ur on and we can discuss =)

{FWE}Hooters-Adm

I am seriously thinking of trying water cooling for my next upgrade. The fans in this case are relatively quite and they all have a controller built in which is awesome. Thats what made the case so great, but if i want it cool i got to crank them all up. Now if i put in water i could leave all the stock fans in the case on low and never hear them as much. Until then i got to keep my fans up when i game and its not to bothersome but i have enough noise in my room already with other appliances and it is sort of annoying. Just a thought if you can afford it go with water because it is the quietest cool solution out there. I'm sure Noman would back me up on this one lol.

You can still use fans with water as well, giving you the best of both. Hardware surfaces stay cold from fans, and internals like your cpu and gpu could be cooled directly with cold water. Sounds nice to me but a lot of work  Fight. The bay controllers are cool as well and relatively cheap. Get it! Good luck!

{FWE}Neonzion

hey hoots yeah ive never done watercooling before and have never seen it in real life except back in 2007. IT looks very VERY VERY HARD to make and very complicated overall. Yeah WhiteDragon has shown me some great fans and controllers that i am seriously thinking on. i may get some all in one watercooling system but they arent the best idea...

OMG THANKS YOU WHITEDRAGON. i suggest everyone take his advice and make the side fan an exhaust fan. since i first started building pc's 5 years ago, i always used the side as an intake fan and sold over 100 computers to clients who required them from me and now i realize i made a mistake! Well i turned my fan around and got 2 scratches!!! anyways, i immediately noticed hot air pushing towards me, and i thought wow i didnt know there was that much heat in there! well im changing all my fans soon... well thanks to WhiteDragon im noticing heat in places i didnt before so i will order around 5 Logisys Premium Quad Green LED 120mm Case Fans - Green UV Sleeved: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_69&products_id=20906]

this will help out my temps and make my pc look shinier XD THANKS F0R ALL THE HELP!