Motherboard Choices opinions and suggestions :)

Started by {FWE}BadMonkey, April 13, 2011, 03:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{FWE}BadMonkey

Asus or MSI or what i want a good one but im not spending 309 dollars for a Crosshair IV Extreme, so thoughts and sugestions welcome  :).

WhiteDragon

Hi BadMonkey,
   I would need a list of all other hardware you currently have so I can suggest a MB for ya.

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Quote from: WhiteDragon on April 13, 2011, 07:36:31 PM
Hi BadMonkey,
   I would need a list of all other hardware you currently have so I can suggest a MB for ya.
Hey monkey give him all the info he ask for,Dragon can help you.

{FWE}Wicked-Ginger-Adm

smash

{FWE}BadMonkey

WhiteDragon I have:

Asrock 870 Extreme3

Phenom II X4 975BE

Samsung spinpoint F4 320GB

an XFX 6970

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Rosewill 1000W PSU

8GB Kingston DDR3 1600

Coolermaster HAF-X Case

HP CD/DVDRW Combo Drive

And want to get another card eventually

YouRock

P.S. Im not Totally against $229 for the CrosshairIV Formula but only if its worth it and i wont need a new one for a long long long time

WhiteDragon

BadMonkey,
   I have to tell ya that if i was in the market for a new MB with your hardware the Crosshair IV Formula would be my choice hands down. The feature's you receive at that price point is hard to beat and it looks really bada** as well :) Important feature's like 42 PCIe lanes and 11 Ports/Engines will let your GPU/GPU's breathe with ease. I prefer Chipsets without graphics and this one fits that category. 8+2 Phase CPU Power is nice if you want to overclock that Phenom II. Also, the NB, SB and Mosfet Heatsinks on this board work nicely. You can go on and on about the feature's of this board but all in all I think you would greatly enjoy putting this bad boy in your HAF-X. One thing to note is this board only comes with One Bios which isn't exactly a big thing but wanted you to keep that in mind. The only time that would be an issue is if you were flashing the Bios and for some reason due to power outage (don't know if you have an ups) you bricked the board. Now to answer your question about this board lasting you for a long long long time --- the answer to that would be unless you want to upgrade your entire rig at some point in the near future this board will hold you over at least a couple years. Just keep in mind that the new tech will be upon us shortly but unless you have enough funds to build a new rig than I would not be hesitant to grab this board and you looking like it is Christmas Morning all over again.

{FWE}BadMonkey

Good to know, yeah i wont be building a new rig anytime soon. I will eventually build a Bulldozer rig I think but, i'm wanting to wait till all bugs and problems will be out of the 990X/FX chipset and everything so yeah probably two or so years before i do that.

Thanks for z info White Dragon :),

WhiteDragon

Hi,
   Could you please give me a list of what she has like you did for your system. Thanks bud.  Music

{FWE}BadMonkey

WhiteDragon

LOL -- Ok, I will ask her. If the hardware list you gave me earlier is indeed what she has and she does want to run her 9800's in SLI than this is the board I would try.     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-636&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo   I will get in touch with her though.   bouncing

WhiteDragon

Hi  Ginger,
    BadMonkey said you were interested in a MB for your rig that you wanted to run your 9800's in SLI. The above post has my suggestion for a MB off of the Hardware Specs that BadMonkey gave me earlier. If you would could you please reply with your Hardware and if you would like to Oc at all. Thanks in advance and will chat with you soon.     Cheers

{FWE}Wicked-Ginger-Adm

I have the same stuff that Bad-Monkey has pretty much just different power supply and ram smash

oh and video card mine is a 4890(monkey's old card)

{FWE}Wicked-Ginger-Adm

@ WhiteDragon ->   Since you are the man to talk to about tech issues I have a real brain twister for you I have an Intel build that is great but I never got it to work right and it is about to kill me not knowing where I went wrong can you tell me by looking at the list if any of this stuff is just not meant to go together:

EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard

Intel Q9550 core2quad 2.83

Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler

Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 8 gigs

corsair Hx1000w PSU

lancool DragonLord case pc-K62

Samsung spinpoint F4 320gig hard drive

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into helping me  YouRock

WhiteDragon

Hi Ginger,
    To answer your question about getting a new MB -- I referred you to the MB in my previous post due to Monkey saying that you would want to run your 2 9800's in SLI. If you would rather run your 4890 or any AMD Cards with your rig than I would suggest another board for you. Just let me know what you would like to run and we can go from there.

To answer your question about the 750 FTW Board you will have to give me more details about your problems with the rig. I do know that particular board sometimes had issues playing nicely with certain memory. let me know if the system ever ran right and what kind of symptoms it had and we can go on from there.

Glad to be of help.   bouncing

{FWE}Wicked-Ginger-Adm

the FTW ran great with my dual core E8500 Wolfdale but hated the quad core not sure why though