News:

1/10/2024 Fweclans, new WebPage's are done and running, FWE GALLERY  and    MAIN ENTRY

Main Menu

Anyone use wireless to game?

Started by {FWE}Neonzion, June 23, 2010, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{FWE}Neonzion

Hey guys,
As some of you might have noticed, im back..... but i havent been on for long hours and thats because my pc is in the kitchen  :P
Well i need my pc in my room so im getting wireless.... Is wireless gaming bad, like would i get horrible connection, and constant connection loss? Also my broadband speeds are horrrible (my service says 768, but i think im getting 256 service) any1 know of software to check this?
Thanks

p.s.
Hey im gaming on onboard graphics  :P hahaha geforce 6150se and i get 5-25fps all low 640x480, i will be getting my 5830 or 5770 or gtx 465 soon...

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Quote from: {FWE}Neonzion on June 23, 2010, 10:45:14 PM
Hey guys,
As some of you might have noticed, im back..... but i havent been on for long hours and thats because my pc is in the kitchen  :P
Well i need my pc in my room so im getting wireless.... Is wireless gaming bad, like would i get horrible connection, and constant connection loss? Also my broadband speeds are horrrible (my service says 768, but i think im getting 256 service) any1 know of software to check this?
Thanks

p.s.
Hey im gaming on onboard graphics  :P hahaha geforce 6150se and i get 5-25fps all low 640x480, i will be getting my 5830 or 5770 or gtx 465 soon...
Sorry to say but wireless is kinda flake y unless you have a clear shot at the router and not one walks in front of it etc.However we have had a lot of players using wireless and they are awesome players so basically it just depends on  setup.What i am trying to say is it can be good or bad.Good luck.

{FWE}Blake-Adm

Ontime is right....again (surprise)  :P I  use wireless to game but it can be hit or miss for connection strength. Wired connections will always be better but wireless is much more convenient. Also, from the speeds you've posted i can't say i would recommend wireless. You can check your speeds on speedtest.net

{FWE}Neonzion

ok thanks guys.... what are your speeds guys.... is 1mb still too slow..... im poor so dont tell me to get 40mb lol... i think 2mb should be enough....

{FWE}Neonzion

rofl i did the test blake suggested and i got .47mb download and .37 upload, thats digustingly horrible, 1mb is the same price im paying monthly so thats what im getting soon....

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

Quote from: {FWE}Blake-Adm on June 24, 2010, 10:26:51 AM
Ontime is right....again (surprise)  :P I  use wireless to game but it can be hit or miss for connection strength. Wired connections will always be better but wireless is much more convenient. Also, from the speeds you've posted i can't say i would recommend wireless. You can check your speeds on speedtest.net
rofl funny blake hehe

{FWE}Hooters-Adm

NEVER USE WIRELESS.. Nuff said..

{FWE}Ontime-Adm

{FWE}Neonzion

Quote from: {FWE}Hooters-Adm on June 24, 2010, 11:44:42 PM
NEVER USE WIRELESS.. Nuff said..

its about the only option i have other than buying a 50ft ethernet cat5 cable and drill 1000000 holes hahaha what would u guys think, wireless vs super long ethernet cable? random question, is wireless good enough for just email and web surfing? if wireless is fine for email and simple web tasks then i will put the wireless router in my room and just use it as a normal router (wired to my pc) and wireless for my sis's laptop and my parents pc will also have wireless...
Thanks

{FWE}Hooters-Adm

LMAO.. If at all possible do not use it. However, if you have to drill a million holes i think your better start drilling because wireless will suck so badly that you will wish you had spent a week drilling holes. With a slow connection it will suck so badly.

I surf on my laptop (Wireless) and on a 3MB connection it is slow as F! I use a G router but of course i am not a wireless user and do not need the N router. N claims to be fast but again your getting waves of signal.

The amount of "Packets" you loose while surfing on wireless is pathetic. Wired looses packets but its very unlikely for it to do so and usually its from shitty routers. Packets are basically pieces of your data being thrown all over the place with wireless. Your computer has to send a packet failure message every time it receives a garbled message.

{FWE}Blake-Adm

I use N and it barely get any packet loss hoots  :D

{FWE}Pandemonium

Sorry Hoots, gotta agree with Blake. I ran on G for a LONG time.. hated it so much, then I got N because I heard it was good and I was always forced to do wireless.

Guess what? It kicks butt. I mind as well be wired in.
I'm a big distracting target. =D

{FWE}Hooters-Adm

I'm glad it works for you others. I was just telling him the technical side regardless of the router type. When i learned of this i was like dang wireless sucks so bad. The security and the packet loss was what done it for me. Taking network security showed me the bad things about protocols etc involved with wireless and wired. I will never use it for a game EVER! At college of course i use it. Who doesn't?

It is just like when i buy hardware for my PC. If the hardware is not decent enough to play the games i like then i'm not going to buy it. Basically, when the connection is not the best possible i'm the same way. I will not use a wireless connection G-N. 1 Packet to many lost for my taste  :o I have even moved my PC to the most obscure locations in the house to get the best out of the internet, air conditioning, etc.

This is your preference and for your convenience(neon) but just like anything else in the PC world 1 thing is always better than the other. You asked.. I answered..

*leaves the conversation*  :P

{FWE}Pandemonium

It id true wired is better, but also, I'm only two rooms away from my router and have 20Mbps  internet speed, so that may be why I don't notice packet loss or anything like that. xD
I'm a big distracting target. =D

{FWE}Blake-Adm

Quote from: {FWE}Hooters-Adm on June 26, 2010, 11:21:40 PM
I'm glad it works for you others. I was just telling him the technical side regardless of the router type. When i learned of this i was like dang wireless sucks so bad. The security and the packet loss was what done it for me. Taking network security showed me the bad things about protocols etc involved with wireless and wired. I will never use it for a game EVER! At college of course i use it. Who doesn't?

It is just like when i buy hardware for my PC. If the hardware is not decent enough to play the games i like then i'm not going to buy it. Basically, when the connection is not the best possible i'm the same way. I will not use a wireless connection G-N. 1 Packet to many lost for my taste  :o I have even moved my PC to the most obscure locations in the house to get the best out of the internet, air conditioning, etc.

This is your preference and for your convenience(neon) but just like anything else in the PC world 1 thing is always better than the other. You asked.. I answered..

*leaves the conversation*  :P

Haha i'll give that one to you hooters. Qos and various protocols do make wireless a less than optimal route to take and wired will always be faster and more secure. Happy?  :P