News:

The {FWE} Forums have been updated with a new look and feel, with new themes that are phone compatible, you can select your personal theme in the home page where it says theme select

Main Menu

How to create a flying fighter.

Started by Ketchup, November 28, 2009, 10:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketchup

Go to your Rollup Bar and click Geom Entity. We have to use these because brushes cannot be used in a trackview. Look for vehicles > us_fighter_b > us_fighter_flying

Place the fighter on your map.

We now have a jet, but theres no exhaust yet! So let's get a particle effect and link it to the jet. Go to your Database view and go to the particles tab. Click the Open button and select vehicle_fx.xml. Go to US_Fighter > c17_thrusters. I have edited this particle effect. You can use these settings if you want. Click the small + sign to open all underlying particles and set these settings:
Exhaust_start1
Count: 300 | Particle Lifetime: 0.2 | Size: 0.3 | Speed: 10
Exhaust1
Count: 500 | Particle Lifetime: 0.8 | Size: 0.5 | Speed: 10
Exhaust3
Count: 30 | Particle Lifetime: 1 | Size: 1.5 | Speed: 25

Place it on your map and rotate it.

Move it around untill it fits in the exhaust of your fighter.

Now because of a strange thing I am going to do this the other way round. I am going to link the jet to the particle effect, and not the particle effect to the jet. Somehow I just can't select the jet when linking from the particle effect, might be a bug in the editor. Anyways, select your jet.

Click the link tool in your toolbar.

Then click and hold on the plane, and drag over to the particle effect and release. There you, you've got it linked. Whenever you now move the particle effect, your jet will move with it. I say again, usually this is supposed to work the other way round, but for some reason I can't get it to work. Let's now trackview our flightpath. Open the Track View by going to View > Open View Pane > Track View.

Create a new animation by pressing the top left button and call it Flying_Fighter. Select your particle effect, and then right click on the sequence you created in your Track View. Select Add selected entity node. You'll now have your particle effect added in the Track View, and it's ready to be animated.

Keep the slider on 0 seconds, and press the big red record button. Then move your particle effect (which is dragging the linked jet with it) to the starting position of your jet. In most cases this is best to be far outside your map so you can't accidently hear it. Then move the slider to how long you want the animation to take. I am going to select 4 seconds. So put the slider on 4 and then move your jet to wherever you want it to move. In most cases this is simply the other side of map. Click the record button again to disable it, and you should have something looking like this.

If you now drag the slider between 0 and 4 seconds you will see your jet moving along the drawn traject. If your jet is going too fast, drag the small green ball to a few seconds further, if it's going too slow drag it a few seconds back. Alright, let's now add the flowgraph to assign our sound, and looping animation start. Select your particle effect, and in the Rollup Bar click Create Flowgraph.

Add the Sound:PlaySound node to your flowgraph. Select your jet, and then right click on the entity field in the PlaySound node, and click Assign Selected Entity. Then set these settings:
SoundName: Sounds/Vehicles > Trackview_Vehicles > jet_constant_run_01
Inner Radius: 500
Outer Radius: 700

Now we have to make a start to make the sound begin. Add the Misc > Start node, and link them.

To finish off we're going to make our animation start when the map begins, and make it loop every 10 seconds. How are we going to do this? Once the map starts we want 2 things to happen: Animation to start and animation to start again after 10 seconds. For this we will use the Logic:Any node. Add it to your flowgraph, and link the start node to it.
Now let's make it start our animation. Put the Animation:PlaySequence node in your flowgraph. For the sequence field type the name of the sequence we created: Flying_Fighter. Link the output of the Logic:Any node to the Play input of the PlaySequence node. If we now start our map, the sequence will start, but not loop yet.
So to make it repeat every 10 seconds, add the Time:Delay node. Enter 10 in the Delay field. Now it's very simple, connect the output of the Logic:Any to the input of the Time:Delay and the output of the Time:Delay to the input of the Logic:Any. So once the animation starts, it will start again after a delay of 10 seconds. Now this might sound confusing, but here is what you'll need to have:

There you go! If you now go in game you'll see your jet flying over the flightpath you created, and it will loop every 10 seconds. I hope you learned from this tutorial, and enjoy the results ;)

{FWE}Blake-Adm

Might want to resize the pictures and also not sure if this is your tutorial, if it isn't five credit where credit is due.

Ketchup

{FWE}Blake-Adm

cloudstrife465